As the festive season fast approaches, people are franticly preparing for the start of the school holidays, planning their get-away, braving the malls and not to mention the parade of Christmas holidays just around the corner. With all this on the go, it is heartwarming to see that there are still many young women looking for ways to make a difference. You’ve come to the right place!
Making a difference in the lives of others does not need to be a big heroic act or cost an arm and a leg! Even simple gestures, done with the greatest intentions can bring huge joy and really make a positive impact on the lives of others.
The list is endless, but here are a few acts that you can do to help towards making a difference in someone’s life.
- Donate any unused items (clothing, bedding, food, books, toys) to a local charity of your choice. They are clogging up space in your home and can still be put to good use by someone who is less fortunate than you
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter. Take the doggies for a walk
- Volunteer at a Children’s home or orphanage – read stories, play with the children – they love the individual attention and their happiness really is food for one’s soul!
- Visit the elderly. Many are “stranded” with no family or friends to visit them. A cup of tea and your youthful energy is a breath of fresh air for them.
- Be a clown at the paediatric ward in your local government hospital. Laughs and giggles are their best medicine! Many little one’s families are too far away for regular visits
- Bake biscuits / hand out sweets to the street children
- Donate blood – the blood banks never have too much and the demand rises during accident peak season
- Become an egg donor. Many people dream about becoming parents and having their own children. In all likelihood, having had a heartbreaking year fighting infertility, it is especially hard at this “family orientated” time of the year. By being an egg donor you are giving hope to people who long for and have struggled for a family of their own! You really can be their light at the end of a very dark tunnel and help make their dreams come true!
We know there are many things women can do to help people. If becoming an egg donor is something you would like to learn more about, please do get in touch, Nurture would love to welcome you to our program.